About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Painting for the joy of it!

I have a commission waiting to be done but decided to work on something that was calling to me big time. It's finished, and titled "Ariel"

Ariel is my niece in Taiwan, married to my nephew Randy Bennett. When Randy posted a picture of her a few weeks ago I knew I had to try to paint it because she was so beautiful and glowing in the light.  I'm pleased with the way it turned out although the colors of the painting change big time depending upon the amount and kind of light you see it in.  I guess that's a good thing because it makes it very interesting.  

The fall scene that I painted for the State Fair is now hanging in our FR and I love the colors in it.  The other day the paints I ordered arrived - 6 quinacridones and they're sooooo luscious! They'll make fall colors even more beautiful.  I used one of them, Copper Kettle, in Ariel's hair and also Quinacridone Gold around her eyes. 

The copper kettle and lemons painting was picked up by it's new owner on Saturday and I had soooo much fun getting to know her a little bit more, especially after our initial 45 minute phone chat. She asked to see the rest of my work and expressed interest in a possible commission on down the road.  Quite an affirming morning!  It's been such a wonderful trip meeting people as a result of my decision to take up painting.  I highly recommend it - painting, that is! 



2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Sharon! I just signed up to follow your blog, so glad you emailed me. Well, you know how I admire this painting - very beautiful and impressive! I will be in contact about that commission we discussed, but it may be after the hoildays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'll look forward to reconnecting in the New Year. Hope you enjoy the Holidays.

      Delete