About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Monday, November 24, 2014

A Portrait of Petey

Sunday, November 16, our beloved little senior dog, Petey, had a seizure in the morning.  After an emergency visit to the vet we learned both his kidneys and heart had started to fail and he likely had a brain tumor.  We spent the day saying our goodbyes to him, and by evening he let us know he was in pain and it was time to help him leave the world.  He's buried in our back yard next to his sister, Maggie and kitty Sam.  Wednesday, at my husband's request, I started this portrait of him. When I reached his eyes I had to set it aside.  A portrait begins to come alive for me when I start to paint the eyes.  I needed some time to adjust to my intention and emotions.   I have a lot of dark detail work yet to do on this, and I'd hoped to have it done by Thanksgiving day.  Petey brought so much joy and laughter into our family when we rescued him. He was such a cute little dog that every moment was a Kodak moment - or worthy of a painting.  We are thankful to have been owned by him.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sharon, I am so sorry to read this! I'm so glad I got to meet him when I visited you recently. I know I told you I have 3 very senior dogs, too (as well as one younger one), and I know I will be coping with this soon with my oldest. So many good memories to help us through, though, and this beautiful portrait to look at will definitely help, too :) Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amber. Our hearts are healing. I'll post why.

      Delete