About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Knock knock

Who's there?
Orange
Orange who?
Orange ya glad I painted this, cuz I am!

Ok I know that was beyond silly, but I've had insomnia since 3 and I'm lying in bed with my iPad on a pillow on my stomach, so I'm feeling neither creative nor intelligent. Never the less, I am glad I painted this one. I was inspird by a photo from one of my favorite websites, Paint My Photo. I'm realizing that painting a still life is rather calming for me, more like a meditation with less emotional involvement than when I paint people or animals. Interesting. Rather than attempting to get a personality across I'm trying to paint the sensation of moisture and layers in the orange sections, textures, and just the right colors that made me think about how oranges smell and wonder if they were cold or maybe fresh off the tree. We had a wonderful orange tree when we lived in FL and miss it. 

Dang!  Now I'm hungry in addition to being wide awake but too tired to do anything about it. Time to snuggle a doggie (Daisy is closest -  smashed up against my side) and at least pretend to sleep. 


1 comment: