About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Poodles and Painting

It's amazing how fast I can move when I look up to see our Standard Poodle, Millie,  throwing up on our bed.  Great cardio exercise.  Got my blood pumping good.

Nothing like changing a bed to get me motivated to find a way to avoid more housework.  After all, I AM still healing and feeling tired ..... so I picked up my paint brushes and got a good (I hope) first wash down on my 16 x 20 project for the Onomatopoetic competition at the end of this month.  It's been interesting trying to come up with and idea for a painting after listening to the composer's composition, In Dulcet Tones, which is a very contemporary piece for violin and piano.   There is a great deal of motion in it, agitation, playfulness, quiet passages, a sweet aria like melody,  a melodramatic part ....  I'm trying to paint texture, movement, grace and freedom.  Tall order!

Here's a link to the flyer for the competition.
OnomatoPoetic

No comments:

Post a Comment