About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Friday, August 15, 2014

Seeing Is Believing

I think it's ironic that the first post on my watercolor blog is being done with one of my painterly eyes mostly closed due to the eye surgery I had done on Tuesday of this week.  I had hoped to paint a bit today but decided it was time to finally get around to setting up a blog so that folks who are not Facebook fanciers will have place to follow my artistic journey.  If you add your email address to the link showing on the right side of this page, you'll automatically receive email updates any time I post to this blog.

At the moment, I'm not feeling very artistic because my eye is still irritated from my surgery, but the irritation does bring to mind a phrase I repeat to myself over and over while I paint: paint what you SEE, not what you THINK you see.  I'm also learning to paint what I WANT to see, and that's often even more rewarding when it comes to signing my name to a painting.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your artistry. I'm sure with your improved vision you'll light up some canvases. :-) Wow. I didn't know you played the flute. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like with art, I am self taught on the flute. What I can't play, I sing. I sat last chair last row in the orchestra. I always knew where they were in the music, I just couldn't always play it but I was great at encouraging everyone else. I DO have an absolutely beautiful gold and silver flute my husband bought me.

      Delete