About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

First Thursdays On Main / Onomatopoetic - Art Inspiring Art: Music Made Visible

Oh the excitement of our very first First Thursdays On Main in downtown Columbia SC.  Finding a parking place wasn't easy so Johnny let me off at CertusBank where there was music being performed outside and an artist painting.  The lobby area is wonderful with windows all across the front and a HUGE media screen about 8' x 14' that's visible from the outside.  They had beautiful pictures of each of our paintings running on a slide show.  Let me tell you, it's mind blowing to stand there with something you've painted giant size behind you.  There was a lovely spread of finger foods and wine - couldn't have been nicer.

And the art!!  35 in total on display.  We'd been asked to provide any stories related to our work or what our thoughts were as we painted.  This was what I shared: Here are the thoughts I wrote down as I listened to In Dulcet Tones: melodic arpeggios; energy; a jouney; something enters and agitates; quiet comes but questions remain; richness as questions are examined; answers presented in brief aria; playful agitation; pushing; melodrama followed by maturity; resolution followed by fluttering release.  

As we waited for the announcements of the awards I spoke with Dr. Jesse Jones, the composer, telling him how much I enjoyed participating in this event and painting to his music.  He asked me to take him to my painting, which I did.  We then proceeded to have a terrific conversation with Jesse telling me how much he loved what I'd done and asking me if I'd had ice in mind when I painted the background and why her eyes were downcast rather than looking up. I wish I could remember all he had to say because it was really wonderful to hear that he had been so deeply engaged with what I'd done.

There are so many pictures of the paintings up on Facebook, but of course you need to join the site to see them.  I'll include 3 of my favorite ones.  Dr. Jones handed out 9 awards in equal value at this time - all red ribbons.  My name was the 6th one called!!
  Giant art 



I couldn't be more thrilled!!



No comments:

Post a Comment