About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Painting for Peace Today

Today is a day for unity around the world.  People will be uniting in prayer, in marches, in silent gatherings, in planning .... and, hopefully, we artists in some mindful painting ... individuals with common goals for the good of mankind and the environment of which we are all a part.  I personally will be saying frequently, "let it begin with me," because my mind has beein increasingly restless with fearful and negative thoughts,  and, all too often, my heart has been taking on grief that is not mine to bare.  If my wish is for a more peaceful world, my part in bringing that about is to let it begin with me.  

I started a commissioned painting yesterday and will continue work on that.  It's of a very sweet subject matter but challenging for me as, while the focus is on just one couple, there are many other people in the background.  It's symbolic of today as all the subjects are gathered in celebration and love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment