About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Southern Butter Pecan

$165  8 x 10

I started Southern Butter Pecan a week ago last Wednesday while painting with my group.  Last Wednesday I worked on it again and have been working on it off and on since.  I started out believing that this was a painting I could do in the style of another artist I admire who paints much looser than I do.  As you can see, that was a epic fail because I kept getting caught up in the details in an attempt to make it pop.  Maybe I'm beginning to become locked into MY style because I can't seem to make myself go directions that seem uncomfortable to me.  I wanted that pop!  At any rate, I'm pleased with these three ladies.  I'm wondering what their names are.  My inspiration came from a photo taken by Steve Lyddon and posted on Paint My Photo.  

I'm really looking forward to taking my very first painting workshop April 17 and 18 with Helen K. Beacham.  It looks like the focus will be mostly on architectural subject matter and perspective.  I love her paintings so am very excited.  I'm ALSO excited about trying out something I ordered and  which just arrived - Inktense  Blocks.  No more on that subject until I see whether or not I'm able to work with them.  The videos I watched showed such luscious colors. Yum!!


2 comments: