About Sharon Matchett

My photo
I'm a retired, classically trained singer (and frustrated flautist) who has discovered another voice within which I now express through the medium of watercolors. Although the art of painting is something completely new to me (I am self taught), the language has turned out to be very familiar. As with singing an aria beautifully, expressing myself in a beautiful and meaningful way in watercolors involves excellent timing, rhythm, tempo, coloration, and artistry. For me, painting with watercolors is like music flowing from my brush. It fulfills that deepest need which I believe lies within us all, the need to feel connected. As I paint I am immersed in and connected to my subject. I become my most creative self, and, in those moments, I feel I am at one with the universe - a marvelous feeling for sure! If what I paint somehow connects with the viewer .... what more could an artist wish for?

Thursday, April 16, 2015

This afternoon I am locked away in my office, door closed on all 4 dogs, determined to start and finish the drawing required for my workshop tomorrow with Helen K. Beacham Fine Art. My mind has been on or escaping from everything but art since Mom's fall. I'm SO looking forward to having two days (Fri 10 - 4 and Sat 10 - 3) to focus on nothing but learning and creating.
A few days before Mom's fall I finished my very first and, I'm sure, not my last, chicken painting.  I took progress photos and wanted to share them with you.  This is  Hyacinth, one of the 3 baby chicks my daughter, Meridith, has been raising.  Hyacinth was just beginning to get her adult feathers in and Mer sent a selfie of the two of them showing the little chicken snuggled up under Mer's chin.  I chose to paint in a different background so the focus would be on Hyacinth.   I really need to take another photo of the finished painting as I have,  in addition to finally signing it, gone back in and softened the edges just about everywhere but on her chest and face.  Doing that draws even more attention to where I want it to be.  I learned a great deal about texture vs softness while painting this little girl.  She is 9" x 11" and can be purchased for $165 including matte. 












No comments:

Post a Comment